Tuesday, April 19, 2016


Getting up to the Ranch

It’s 6:15 in the morning and I have just checked out of the hotel. Outside I am waiting for Frank who is going to drive me up to the Chilcotin Holidays Ranch. I don’t yet know what to expect but I am excited. Frank arrives a bit early and so we can leave on time at 6:30. I am already happy to have some company again after a long and lonely journey from Switzerland to Canada. Quickly do I realize that the ride with Frank is not going to be boring. He starts doing a bit of small talk and asking me questions. The first part of the ride was on very smooth streets, however Frank ensured me that it was not going to stay this smooth. We drove past some fields and Frank told me how cranberries are being harvested by flooding the field. This won’t be the last interesting fact of the ride. Not too long into the ride we spot a bald eagle which is my first encounter with Canadian wildlife. I was pretty tired from the jetlag and getting up early but I didn’t want to sleep even if Frank almost insisted I did. It was just so important to me that I didn’t miss anything. After a few hours which felt like only thirty minutes we made a short pit stop at a gas station. Then we started entering a more mountainous area. He told me of these beautiful yellow flowers that we were going to see later and his promise did not disappoint. Huge patches of yellow Balsamroot under the Ponderosa Pines. We drove past these huge stone slopes which looked amazing and the streets had a few rocks on them. However, we were lucky and there weren’t that many on the road. Yet again, Frank had a story about how they get rid of the rocks on the streets. After a few more hours we arrived in Lillooet. A small town where Frank sometimes picks up things for the ranch as it was the case this time. We had to wait some time and then we were ready to start the last part of the journey. Now the road lost all it’s smoothness. On the way we encountered one of the trucks that clear the roads of the stones and Frank could prove that he was telling the truth all along. They use snow plow on the front. In the last 45 minutes we saw a few Bighorn sheep and deer. Soon enough I saw the entry to the ranch and I got a bit nervous. This however, didn’t last long because when I got out of the bus the first friendly faces greeted me and it soon felt like home.


About Unknown

We are a licensed guide outfitter and we conduct guided wilderness adventures throughout our 5,000 square km operating area. This guide area has been operational since 1880, making it the oldest in British Columbia. More about us HERE.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :